The Niagara II, Tobermory, Ontario
Pictures by Warren Lo © 2006
The Niagara II was originally built in England in 1930 by Furness Shipbuilding Company Ltd. It was originally named the Rideaulite and worked for Imperial Oil, running between Montreal and Ottawa. Subsequently, it was renamed to the Imperial Lachine. In 1954, Toronto Dry Dock Ltd. converted it to a sand sucker and it was renamed to the Niagara. In 1984, it was again renamed to the Niagara II and had it's engines converted to diesel in 1990. The owners decided to sell the Niagara II for scrap in 1997, and was subsequently purchased by the Tobermory Martime Association for $40,000. In October 1998, it was towed from Lake Erie to Tobermory and was sunk with the aid of explosives. It now is one of Tobermory's most popular dive sites.
This wreck lies in about 100 feet of water in Georgian Bay, just outside of the harbour in Tobermory, Ontario. Most of the wreck can be dove in the 70-80 ft range. The top of the wheelhouse begins at about 45 ft. The water temperatures generally don't get too high, even in the middle of summer, with typical temperatures in the mid 40F range. Being a steel wreck, it is pretty well devoid of zebra mussels, and is fully intact.
There is much to see on this wreck. The wheelhouse is open and can be penetrated quite easily without the need for wreck penetration protocols. The wreck has decks at several levels, with lots to see on each level. The engine room is also open and can be penetrated.
All Photos copyright © Warren Lo, 2006