The A.E. Vickery, St. Lawrence River, New York
Pictures by Warren Lo © 2006, 2007
The A.E. Vickery was built in 1861 and launched in July of that year at Three Mile Bay in New York. Originally named as the J.B. Penfield, she was renamed in February 1884 as the A.E. Vickery. A three masted wooden schooner, she was carrying a load of corn en-route to Wisers Distillery in Prescott, Ontario, when she struck the shoals in the narrows on August 17, 1889. There was no loss of life in the sinking.
The wreck itself lies on a ledge adjacent to Rock Island Shoal. The site is buoyed with a line that takes you down over the ledge to the port bow of the wreck, which lies at approximately 60 ft in depth. The wreck continues down the ledge and reaches a depth of about 115 ft at it's stern. There is a fair bit of current as the wreck site is in a narrow portion of the river. Because the wreck lies at an angle on the shoal, on the wreck itself, the current is much less as the deck is somewhat sheltered. As well, the wreck can be penetrated through a number of cargo hatches in the deck. Once inside, current is pretty well non-existant.
At the bow of the wreck is the ship's windlass. As well, the rudder appears to be more or less intact. Two section of masts lie to the starboard side of the wreck.
All Photos copyright © Warren Lo, 2006, 2007