The Comet, Lake Ontario, Kingston, Ontario
Pictures by Warren Lo © 2006WRECK INFO:
The Comet was built in Kingston in 1848, and sank on May 14, 1861 when it collided with another ship. The Comet originally sank in 1851 in Oswego NY when it's boiler exploded, but was eventually raised and rebuilt as the Mayflower. The Mayflower suffered further misfortune when it slammed into a bridge amidst high winds and rough water in May 1861. It was rebuit a week later and renamed back to it's original name, the Comet. Then it suffered it's final blow when it collided with another ship and sank just off Simcoe Island.
The ship's bow and stern have collapsed, but it's most notable feature, the twin paddlewheels are still intact.
All Photos copyright © Warren Lo, 2006